20.6.13

openkinect

I have now finished my 2nd year in my course. It's been a busy year and I have enjoyed it (happy for the results, tough during the projects...)
This morning I purchased a 50mm 1.4 so I'm really really ecstatic as I saw it was going for £230 on the canon aperture site in practically brand new condition. I hope to update more photography with it and in the future buy a wide lens :)

I finally had the time to sit down with the kinect I recently bought for £30 (+£10 for a stupid usb adapter -__-). Anyway I finally got it working with my laptop on linux ubuntu. There wasn't much issue apart from I didn't install the latest header file for the libfreenect so that hindered me. Overall I am impressed with how much information I can get out of this and I hope I can do some tracking soon!




Also for those of you who have a PS3, you MUST buy "The Last of Us". It is one of the most compelling games that I have ever played ! I love cinematic games like these. It's practically an interactive film ! The future for the gaming industry is bright. Even though the mobile industry is booming and going to be bringing new things to the table but companies like Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream are something special... so I don't think games like that can be experienced as much as on a mobile tablet. 
If you are wondering what "The Last of Us" is like. In a nutshell, a disease has spread out to the world and infected people. Obviously this has led to an apocalypse and those who have not yet been infected need to survive. So it is a story about Joel, who has lost one of his family member, and Ellie who is 'unique'. Joel journeys with Ellie to save what's left of humanity however unexpected turns happens throughout the adventure.
The game is made by Naughty Dog, who made Uncharted series. The game engine is practically the same Uncharted but a little bit more refined and some icon design changes to suit the game. 
It is definitely much more grittier and serious than Uncharted. Unlike Nathan and Sully's light-hearted jokes talks, all the characters take on a solemn tone and it is true to the fact that if you put yourselves in the situation of a 'zombie'-like apocalypse then it's a dog-eat-dog world. Killing scenes are brutal and trying to sneak your way round 'zombies' is very intense.
The reason I say 'zombies' in italics and quotes is because I do not want to mix this game to a typical zombie outbreak theme that we've seen in games or film. This is very different and, in my opinion, one of the best takes on the theme of zombies, disease outbreaks, apocalypse.
So I said this is a really serious game and has no jokes or light-hearted script in it however Momin sent me a link to this. I didn't notice when I played the game but Ellie found a joke book a long the way and reads them out every now and then. I wished I picked one up!

"I used to be addicted to soap....but I'm clean now."
"It doesn't matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationary."
"A book just fell on my head, I only have myshelf to blame."
"3.14% of sailors are pi-rates."
"I tried to catch some fog earlier....I mist."
"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow."

Some of these jokes are funny but I guess I have a lame sense of humour :(